Check out the link below for more great recipes from Southern Plate! Below I have just one - Red Velvet Cupcakes.
- 2 +1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1+1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1+1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bottle red food coloring
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter (or margarine), at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vinegar. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Add vanilla and entire bottle of red food coloring to batter and mix again on low speed until well blended and uniform in color.
- Line 2 - 12 cup muffin tins with papers. Fill each paper about 3/4 full with batter. Will end up with 18-20 cupcakes.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until center springs back when pressed lightly with finger. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and vanilla and beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Ice cooled cupcakes.
- Can be left at room temp but I love it refrigerated!
Makes about 18-20 cupcakes.